Last Day Of School is Now June 26, 2017
The Riverview School District, with approval from the Riverview School Board of Directors, has been granted a waiver day from the state, based on the district-wide weather-related school closure on January 10, 2017. The last day of school for students will move from Tuesday, June 27, 2017, to Monday, June 26, 2017.
Before applying for waiver days, school districts must meet the following criteria, as outlined by OSPI (Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction):
- Applications for waiver days are only accepted after March 1.
- The last day of school must be past June 14.
- Districts must make up at least three cancelled days.
- A state of emergency needs to be proclaimed by the Governor.
- The District has to verify that students will have an average of 1,027 hours or more for the school year, after making up the three days.
- The local School Board needs to approve the request to waive the day, prior to consideration by OSPI.
Under the above-referenced Proclamation, Governor Jay Inslee declared January 10-20, 2017 as emergency days for the existing school year.
If you have any further questions regarding the calendar change, please feel free to contact your student’s school.